Titles & references used for the compilation of brief histories
The books used are available in the reference departments of the local libraries -
- The titles of books on a particular church or chapel are on the page for that place.
- Local Newspapers articles - see indexes in Burnley & Nelson Libraries.
- Local Directories.
Books which include several areas -
- 'History of Wesleyan Methodism in Burnley & East Lancashire' by B Moore (1899) -
contains photographs of the Chapels.
- 'Bethel Primitive Methodist Churches - A Jubilee Souvenir 1852-1902'
- 'Historical Sketch of the North & East Lancashire Unitarian Mission and it's
affiliated Churches 1859-1909' by the Unitarian Church Committee (1909)
- 'Quakers of Marsden' by E Alton
- 'Lancashire Non conformity - Congregational and Old Presbyterian' by Rev. B Nightingale (1891)
- 'The Story of the Lancashire Congregational Union 1806 -1906' by Rev. B Nightingale
1851 Religious Census -
- On microfilm at the Lancashire Archives, Preston (formerly Lancashire Record Office)
- The Pendle (Nelson & Colne etc) area is available as photocopies at Nelson Library.