ALTHAM  ~ The parochial chapelry included the townships of Altham, Clayton-le-Moors & Old Accrington.  Formerly a chapelry in the parish of Whalley

INDEX TO ALTHAM CHURCHES, CHAPELS & BURIAL GROUNDS

Bookmark Establishment and Location
 Church of England
 ALT.CE.01 St.James, Burnley Road
 Roman Catholic
 ALT.RC.01 St.Mary, Clayton-le-Moors, Burial Ground, Burnley Road
 Nonconformist
 ALT.Con.01 'The Rev.Jollie'
 Return to map    
For the history of Altham see -
  'The History & Associations of Altham & Huncoat' by Richard Ainsworth (1932)

Town / Index no :  Altham - ALT.CE.01
Map references :  OS SD 772331
Name :  St.James
Denomination :  Church of England
Address :  Burnley Road, Altham
Vicarage :  The Vicarage, Church Street, Clayton-le-Moors, Accrington  BB5 5HT
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  C 1596-1851, M 1596-1946, B 1596-1923     + MIs
  C 1596-1848, M 1596-1837, on IGI for Lancashire
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  C 1596-1987, M 1596-1990, B 1596-1990, Banns 1823-1900 at Burnley Library
  C 1731-1798, M 1673-1800, B 1695-1742, 'Laycock's' transcriptions at Burnley Library
  C 1596-1695, M 1596-1695, B 1596-1695, see LPRS volume 36
                      M 1813-1837 Index at Colne & Nelson Libraries
  'Brodericks' transcriptions at Accrington & Burnley Libraries (G11) bound volumes ..
  CMB 1696-1812, C 1813-1897, M 1813-1990, B 1813-1990
  C 1596-1848, M 1596-1837, on IGI for Lancashire
Graveyard
  Large. Still in use. Some recent burials
Memorial Inscriptions
  Transcribed in 1983 - 1345 headstones
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  Burnley & Colne Libraries
Brief History
  1140 Founded about this date as a Chapelry in the parish of Whalley. The Ancient Chapelry included the townships of Altham, Clayton-le-Moors & Accrington
          The old font was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin
  1851 Religious Census = St.Mary's Chapel (?). An ancient parochial chapel built before 1800
 (1974 Altham was transferred to Accrington Registration District)
  see Burnley Library Newspaper Index - several reports
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Altham - ALT.RC.01
Map references :  OS SD 757315
Name :  Dunkenhalgh Chapel & St.Mary's Burial Ground
(Altham parish formerly included Clayton-le-Moors)
Denomination :  Roman Catholic
Address :  Altham
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  see below
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  -
Graveyard
  The burial ground of St.Mary's Church Clayton-le-Moors (formerly Dunkenhalgh Chapel) is in Altham on the main road A 678 near the canal bridge.  Clayton-le-Moors was formerly part of Altham parish
Memorial Inscriptions
  1788 -1973
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  Colne Library
Brief History
  - 
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Altham - ALT.Con.01
Map references :   -
Name :   -
Denomination :  Congregational
Address :  Altham
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  none
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  -
Graveyard
  none
Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Brief History
  1649 The Rev.Thomas Jollie came to Altham church as the new incumbent
  1662 He was rejected because of his beliefs. He also held services at Slade near Padiham
  1667 He bought a farmhouse called Wymondhouses near Pendleton which became a chapel - Now demolished
    see 'Lancashire Non Conformity' by Nightingale (1891)
Top of page    

LFHHS Pendle & Burnley Branch 2002