CLIVIGER ~ Including Cornholme, Mereclough, Walk Mill & Holme Chapel.  Formerly in the Chapelry of Burnley.

INDEX TO CLIVIGER CHURCHES, CHAPELS & BURIAL GROUNDS

Bookmark Establishment and Location
 Church of England
 CLI.CE.01 St.John the Divine, Burnley Road, Holme Chapel, Cliviger
 Nonconformist
 CLI.IM.01 Mount Zion, Walk Mill, Cliviger
 CLI.WM.01 Mereclough Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
 CLI.WM.02 Bethesda, Cornholme
 Return to map    
For the history of Cliviger see -
 'A Pennine Parish - The History of Cliviger' by Titus Thornber (1987)

Town / Index no :  Cliviger - CLI.CE.01
Map references :  OS SD 876285
Name :  St.John the Divine (1999 - United Benefice with Church of St.John, Worsthorne WOR.CE.01
Denomination :  Church of England
Address :  Burnley Road, Holme-in-Cliviger, Burnley (Holme Chapel)
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  C 1742-1953, M 1742-1756, B 1742-1757     + MIs
                      M 1839-1952, B 1763-1938
                for M 1756-1839 - see St.Peter's, Burnley (BUR.CE.15)
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  C1742-1837, M 1742-1837, B 1742-1841 - see LPRS Volume 124, Libraries
  C1792-1885, M 1792-1895 on IGI for Lancashire
Graveyard
  Small
Memorial Inscriptions
  Transcribed 1980 - 456 headstones dated 1793-1980
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  Colne and Nelson Libraries
Brief History
  1552 In existence as a Chapel of Ease to St.Peter, Burnley (BUR.CE.15)
  1788 Chapel rebuilt
  see "The Church in Cliviger" by Hubert E Edwards (1943)
  "Some Historical notes 1794-1969" by Holme-in-Cliviger St.John the Divine Church
  "A short history of St.John's Church, Holme-in-Cliviger" by Alan S Dean (1986)
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Cliviger - CLI.IM.01
Map references :  OS SD 868298
Name :  Mount Zion
Denomination :  Independent Methodist (allied to United Free Gospel)
Address :  Burnley Road, Walk Mill, Cliviger, Burnley (on the A646)
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  none
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  -
Graveyard
  none
Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Brief History
  1880 Chapel opened 1880 - (date on the building)
  1881 School Chapel built
  1930 Jubilee
  1980 Centenary, still open
  see Burnley Library Newspaper Index - several reports
  also see 'History of Mount Zion Methodist Church, Walk Mill' by Colin Scholes (1980)
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Cliviger - CLI.WM.01
Map references :  OS SD 875305  
Name :  Mereclough Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Denomination :  Wesleyan Methodist
Address :  Long Causeway, Cliviger, Burnley .. opposite School Lane (Mereclough)
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  C 1823-1837, M 1907-1965     + MIs
 .C 1846-1963
Public Record Office, London
  RG 4/1489 Births / Baptisms. 1823-1837
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  C 1823-1837, at Burnley Library
  C 1823-1837, on IGI for Lancashire
Graveyard
  Closed except for burials in existing graves. Grass cut by council. The graveyard is on the hillside above the site of the chapel. 
  Walk up the road to a driveway on the left-hand side of the road which goes in front of a bungalow. Walk along the drive (which is a public right of way) past the bungalow to the entrance gate
Memorial Inscriptions
  Memorial Inscriptions Transcribed in 1980 - 58 headstones dated 1824-1966
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  Burnley, Colne & Nelson Libraries
Brief History
  1786 A society formed and services held in Wm.Halstead's cottage
  1824 Chapel built
  1851 Religious Census = built 1824
  1966 Chapel closed & demolished
  1973 Site of chapel built made into a Memorial Garden which contains two seats in memory of General Scarlett (1799-1871) who led the charge of the Heavy Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava and is buried at St.John's Cliviger (CLI.CE.01)
  see Burnley Library Newspaper Index - several reports
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Cliviger - CLI.WM.02
Map references :   -
Name :  Bethesda
Denomination :  Wesleyan Methodist
Address :  Cornholme
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  none
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  -
Graveyard
  none
Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Brief History
  1836 Built
  1851 Religious Census = built in 1836 in Cliviger Parish
Top of page    

LFHHS Pendle & Burnley Branch 2002