FOULRIDGE  ~ Formerly in the Parish of St.Bartholomew, Colne
     and later in the Parish of Christ Church, Colne

INDEX TO FOULRIDGE CHURCHES, CHAPELS & BURIAL GROUNDS

Bookmark Establishment and Location
 Church of England
 FOU.CE.01 St.Michael & All Angels, Skipton Road
 Nonconformist
 FOU.Qua.01 Friends Meeting House, Ivegate
 FOU.WM.01 Mount Pleasant, County Brook Lane (White Moor)
 FOU.WM.02 Foulridge Wesleyan Chapel, Skipton Road / Chapel Street
  Return to map    
For the history of Foulridge see -
 'The Story of Foulridge' by Fay Oldland (1990)

Town / Index no :  Foulridge - FOU.CE.01
Map references :  OS SD 890419
Name :  St.Michael & All Angels
Denomination :  Church of England
Address :  Skipton Road, Foulridge, Colne
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  C 1905-1948, M 1905-1940, B    + MIs
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  -
Graveyard
  Still in use
Memorial Inscriptions
  Transcribed in 1982 - 602 headstones
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  Colne & Nelson Libraries
Brief History
  Before the church was built, services were held at Breeze House and then at the National School on Town Top
  Pre 1835 Foulridge was in the parish of St.Bartholomew at Colne (COL.CE.03)
  1835-1905 Foulridge was in the parish of Christ Church, Colne (COL.CE.01)
  1905 The church was built at Foulridge
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Foulridge - FOU.Qua.01
Map references :  OS SD 891422
Name :  Friends Meeting House
Denomination :  Quaker, Society of Friends
Address :  Ivegate, Foulridge
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  MIs (1673-1691 deaths), see Marsden, Society of Friends covering NE Lancashire
  Births 1654-1961, M 1658-1963, B 1654-1961
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  For burials, see last page of bound volume of MIs for Barrowford, Brierfield & Nelson at Colne Library
  1673-1691 there were 8 burials
Graveyard
  On opposite side of lane near the New Inn, all traces have now gone - Site of New Farm
Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Brief History
  The minister was blind John Moore who lived at Bawl (Ball) House
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Foulridge - FOU.WM.01
Map references :  OS SD 881433
Name :  Mount Pleasant
Denomination :  Wesleyan Methodist
Address :  County Brook Lane, Foulridge (White Moor) .. 
 off the B6251 Foulridge to Barnoldswick Road
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  none
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  -
Graveyard
  none
Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Brief History
  1824 Chapel built, founded by Rev.John Barritt
  1851 Religious Census = erected 1822 with a House underneath
  1859 Alterations to Chapel
  1880 Bought by the Methodists
  1999 Still in use
  see Nelson Library Newspaper Index - 1910, a short sketch
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Foulridge - FOU.WM.02
Map references :  a - 
b - OS SD 890424
Name :  Foulridge Wesleyan Chapel
Denomination :  Wesleyan Methodist
Address :  a - Skipton Road, Foulridge
b - Chapel Street, Foulridge
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
M 1910-1982
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  'Wesleyan Baptisms 1788-1837', at Colne Library includes Foulridge
Graveyard
  none
  until 1835 Foulridge was in the parish of St.Bartholomew Colne (COL.CE.03)
  1835-1905 In the parish of Christ Church, Colne (COL.CE.01)
Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Brief History
  1825 First chapel built by the side of the main road
  1851 Religious Census = Foulridge Chapel erected 1825
  1859 Alterations to the chapel
  1872 More land acquired to rebuild the chapel on Chapel Street
  1983 Chapel closed and demolished - houses built on the site
Top of page    

LFHHS Pendle & Burnley Branch 2002