HAPTON  ~ Formerly in the Chapelry of Padiham

INDEX TO HAPTON CHURCHES, CHAPELS & BURIAL GROUNDS

Bookmark Establishment and Location
 Church of England
 HAP.CE.01 St.Margaret, Manchester Road
 Nonconformist
 HAP.WM.01 Hapton Methodist Church, Manchester Road / Whitefield Street
 Return to map    
For the history of Hapton see -
  

Town / Index no :  Hapton - HAP.CE.01
Map references :  OS SD 793316
Name :  St.Margaret
Denomination :  Church of England
Address :  Manchester Road, Hapton
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  C 1914-1926       + MIs
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  -
Graveyard
  Small, grass cut .. still in use
Memorial Inscriptions
  Transcribed in 1982, 64 headstones dated 1914-1981
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  Burnley, Colne & Nelson Libraries
Brief History
  1914 Founded (previously in the parish of St.Leonard, Padiham (PAD.CE.01)
  1924 Church built
          United benefice with St.Leonard, Padiham (PAD.CE.01)
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Hapton - HAP.WM.01
Map references :  a - 
b - OS SD 792319
Name :  Hapton Methodist Church   
Denomination :  Wesleyan Methodist
Address :  a - Manchester Road, Hapton
b - Whitefield Street, Hapton
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
M 1888-1976
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  -
Graveyard
  none
Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Brief History
  1857 Church founded
  1859 Foundation stone laid for first chapel 
  1884 A new chapel built. The old chapel of 1859 used as Conservative Club
  1980 New chapel built on Whitefield Street. Former chapel of 1884 demolished for the construction of the motorway
  see Burnley Library Newspaper Index - reports 1980 and 1991 - history of chapel
  see 'Souvenir of centenary celebrations:1857-1957' by Methodist Church and Sunday School, Hapton (1957) .. includes a history of the church
  also 'Hapton Methodist Church' by Hazel Neild (1991)
Top of page    

LFHHS Pendle & Burnley Branch 2002