HIGHAM with WEST CLOSE BOOTH  ~ Formerly part of the Parish of Padiham

INDEX TO HIGHAM with WEST CLOSE BOOTH CHURCHES, CHAPELS & BURIAL GROUNDS

Bookmark Establishment and Location
 Church of England
 HIG.CE.01 St.John the Evangelist, Higham Hall Road
 Nonconformist
 HIG.WM.01 Higham Booth Methodist Chapel, Higham Hall Road
 Return to map    
For the history of Higham see -
  

Town / Index no :  Higham - HIG.CE.01
Map references :  OS SD 811366
Name :  St.John the Evangelist (United benefice with the Church of St.Anne, Fence (PEN.CE.01)
Denomination :  Church of England
Address :  Higham Hall Road, Higham near Burnley
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  none
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  -
Graveyard
  Small burial ground behind the church still in use, also memorial plaques for cremations
Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Brief History
  1851 Religious Census = Higham National School licensed for worship
  1874 Church built, part of St.Leonard's Parish Padiham (PAD.CE.01)
  2002 Became an independent parish for the first time. Rev.Richard Adams to be vicar of both Higham & Fence Parishes
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Higham - HIG.WM.01
Map references :  OS SD 808365
Name :  Higham Booth Methodist Chapel
Denomination :  Wesleyan Methodist
Address :  Higham Hall Road, Higham near Burnley
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  C 1813-1967, M 1876-1970, B 1820-1863
Public Record Office, London
  RG 4/826 Births and Christenings 1813-1837
  RG 4/827 Burials 1820-1837
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  C 1813-1837         B 1820-1864 'Laycock' transcript at Burnley Library
                             B 1864-1976 at Nelson Library
  C 1813-1837 on IGI for Lancashire
Graveyard
  Small & tidy, 1440 burials, plaque on railings giving history of chapel etc.
Memorial Inscriptions
  Transcribed in ? - 228 headstones dated 1815 -1977
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  Burnley, Colne and Nelson Libraries
Brief History
  1812 Chapel in former house of Robert Hargreaves which also served Sabden (Bridge) Sabden Hall (Fold), Newchurch-in-Pendle, Wheatley Lane and Pendle Bottom
          Services were also held in a barn at Sabden Hall for a time in the 1800s
  1841 'Old Chapel' formed from some cottages
  1851 Religious Census = Chapel built 1812
  1859 New premises built for the schools
  1872 'Old Chapel taken down and new one built on site
  1873 A new chapel opened
  1984 Chapel Demolished
  see Burnley Library Newspaper Index - several reports
Top of page    

LFHHS Pendle & Burnley Branch 2002