SABDEN  ~ Formerly in the Chapelry of Padiham, known as Heyhouses

INDEX TO SABDEN CHURCHES, CHAPELS & BURIAL GROUNDS

Bookmark Establishment and Location
 Church of England
 SAB.CE.01 St.Nicholas, Wesley Street (Heyhouses)
 Roman Catholic
 SAB.RC.01 St.Mary Queen of Peace, Whalley Road
 Nonconformist
 SAB.Bap.01 Baptist Chapel, Clitheroe Road
 SAB.WM.01 Pendle Wesleyan Chapel, St. Nicholas Avenue
 Return to map    
For the history of Sabden see -
 'Sabden before 1600' by Laycock
 'Heyhouses and the Neighbourhood' by Laycock
 'The Birth of a Lancashire Village' by Clifford Moorhouse
 'Sabden, The Forgotten Valley' by Clifford Moorhouse

Town / Index no :  Sabden - SAB.CE.01
Map reference :  OS SD 781377
Name :  St.Nicholas
Denomination :  Church of England
Address :  Wesley Street, Sabden (Heyhouses)
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  C 1841-1966, M 1849-1992, B 1841-1955       + MIs
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  C 1841-1900, M 1849-1900, B 1841-1900, at Burnley & Nelson Libraries
Graveyard
  Still  in use
Memorial Inscriptions
  Transcribed to 1967 - 238 headstones
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  Colne ans Nelson Libraries
Brief History
  1841 Consecrated to St.Simon & St.Jude. The parish was then known as Heyhouses.
  The present day village of Sabden was known as Sabden Bridge.  Sabden Fold, 
   in the parish of Newchurch-in-Pendle (PEN.CE.02) was then known as Sabden
  1851 Religious Census = Licensed in 1842 and Consecrated in 1846
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Sabden - SAB.RC.01
Map reference :  OS SD 777374
Name :  St.Mary Queen of Peace
Denomination :  Roman Catholic
Address :  Whalley Road, Sabden
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  C 1947-1963, M 1947-1954 & 1961-1962
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  -
Graveyard
  none
Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  -
Brief History
  1873 Founded
  1937 Consecrated 17th October 1937
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Sabden - SAB.Bap.01
Map references :  Chapel - OS SD 779376
Burial ground - OS SD 778377
Name :  Baptist Chapel
Denomination :  Baptist
Address :  Chapel - Clitheroe Road, Sabden
Burial ground - Top Row, Sabden
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  C 1787-1839, M 1929-1984, B 1797-1837      + MIs
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  C 1787-1837 on IGI for Lancashire
Graveyard
  Date stone AD 1865. Access to the Graveyard - (park on Clitheroe Road) walk up a footpath 
  from some iron gates near Bury Row or walk along Top Row
Memorial Inscriptions
  Transcribed in 1981 - 125 headstones
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  Burnley, Colne and Nelson Libraries
Brief History
  1798 Founded
     ?   Chapel lowered and made into a house, Chapel now in school behind the house
  see 'Jubilee of the Baptist Sabbath School, Sabden 19.Feb.1848' (Manuscript of the history of chapel etc)
  '"No mean witness" sidelights on the history of Sabden and the Baptist witness there during the last 150 years' (1947) ISBN/ISSN L000114650
Top of page    

Town / Index no :  Sabden - SAB.WM.01 (The parish of Sabden was formerly known as Heyhouses)
Map reference :  OS SD 779375
Name :  Pendle Wesleyan Chapel
Denomination :  Wesleyan Methodist
Address :  St.Nicholas Avenue, Sabden
 
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
  none
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  -
Graveyard
  -
Memorial Inscriptions
  Transcribed in 1981 - 78 headstones
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  Burnley, Colne and Nelson Libraries
Brief History
  1766 Methodism Introduced to Sabden
  1810 Meetings at the house of John Harrison in the Burnley circuit
  1835 Chapel built
  1844 New chapel built
  1879 New chapel built
     ?   The third chapel demolished and houses built on the site .. the stone pillars of the gateway remain.  The present chapel is now in a building in the graveyard.
Top of page    

LFHHS Pendle & Burnley Branch 2002